Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Week 8 video Blog.

1. Explain why you selected each of the three videos you choose from the selection listed above.

Cairo Museum _ I wish to go on to the museum studies masters degree program and the Cairo museum came up in one of my undergrad museums course, I wanted to see it prom another perspective.


A World Inscribed: The Illuminated Manuscript - I love this type of work and wish I could do it.

Cataclysm: The Black Death Visits Tuscany This Plague has always fascinated me.


2. For each video list/discuss the key concepts you learned.

More Human than Human - across human cultures the body is often idealized,often to the point of not being recognizable as being human this is particularly true of our most remembered images

Cairo Museum This is actually not a new concept for me - although I loved seeing the hidden treasure- it is common knowledge in museums studies that the really cool stuff is not on display. I volunteer at the Science Museum and I always love getting to see the collections that are not normally seen. The Cairo museum does an awesome job if half their collection is out for viewing. Most museums have much less.





A World Inscribed: The Illuminated Manuscript This again was not a new concept but many of these I had never seen before and I am thrilled to have seen them. I was not aware, however, that Charlemagne was unlettered as they used to say.


Cataclysm: The Black Death Visits Tuscany The biggest thing I learned in this was that Christians blamed the Jews for the Black Death - that they thought the Jews were poisoning them.. They made sure to point out that Doubting Thomas became more popular to portray after the plague because people were more likely to be questioning the existence of God.

I liked especially the "mini tour" Giotto's work and innovations and seeing that the skills and crafts of the time are still being used. I do wish they would have named some of the charities founded then that still survive,tho'.





2. How do the videos relate to the readings in the text?

They cover a lot of the same info, more in depth and clearer.


3. What is your opinion of the films? How do they add depth to understanding of the readings and art concepts?

I always find that the films are more in depth than the book...and better organized and they have more time to explain concepts.