Friday, October 21, 2011

Museums By Midnight Part 1

The National Preservation Trust is holding its National Conference here in Buffalo this week. Along with the regular sessions that such conferences offer they are doing tours of local preservation projects and museums. Thursday, October 20th, 2011 was one such tour, that was opened to the public. This was to take us on Self Guided Tours of Albright-Knox Art Gallery, The Art Conservation Dept of Buffalo State, The Birchfield-Penny, The Richardson Complex, and BECHS.
I had to go the Albright Knox for my Anthropology class to see the new exhibit so we started there, we were not allowed to take pictures and there are none online yet of the three brand new exhibits - so I have none of that venue.
We proceeded to walk across the street to the Art Conservation dept, and had a ball...I've been there before with my museums class last semester and loved it. I had to go again. I was restricted from taking pictures of client's art work that they were restoring - so I took pictures of some of the work areas and permenant displays in the halls everything I took pictures of I made sure to get permission.

















daguerreotypes in the hall

Now take a walk through the labs with me





Some of the work areas.


participants looking through the microscopes..at ultramarine and( I think) azurite.
After this we went to the Birchfield-Penny. To look around this is some of what we found there.






Some of Mr Burchfield's own work









I'll continue in another post....